Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Lost

This is a couple days late, but I had an eye opening experience on Sunday. I didn't come up with it on my own, and actually it was one of the testimonies that was borne in Sacrament Meeting that really got me thinking about it. So I'm heading to church Sunday, only to find that the only way I know is blocked. For those who don't know, I have to drive off base for about 30 minutes (on a good day) to get to church. Up until I got my own car, I would always ride with the Relief Society president, so I only know how to get there one way. Well up until a certain point, and then there are a couple different ways I can go, but that's not the point. Anyway, so I leave the gate and see the road I need to take is blocked off. This puts me into a bit of a panic. I don't know how to get to church without going up this road. I know there is another way, I just don't know where it is. The worst part of this whole mess, I had someone following me to church. So not only was I lost, but I had the family behind me lost too. Well after turning around a few times, and going down a road I was praying would take me where I needed to go, I did find a road I was familiar with. I know none of you have driven in Japan before, but one of the great things about the roads, is they all eventually lead to a main road. Needless to say, we were a little late for church. Not too bad though. We just took the scenic route. =) So here's where the realization comes in... My path to church is like our path back to Heaven. We know one way to go. Granted there are many ways I could get to church, there is one way that I am comfortable with. There is one way to get back to Heaven. Just as my friend showed me the way to church, Christ has shown us the way to eternal life. Sometimes we may get off that path, and end up somewhere unfamiliar. In Japan, that's not hard. And really, it's not that hard to get off the straight and narrow path either. Sometimes we have to stop and turn around. Other times we keep going, and hope it takes us to where we want to be. But we don't have to do it alone. We have our helps along the way. In Japan, I have road maps and friends to call. We have the same spiritually thinking. We have the scriptures and such as our map and we have prayer as our phone call. I guess what I'm trying to say is, sometimes on our path to Eternal Life we get lost and/or sidetracked. But as long as we don't lose sight of what we're going towards, we will get there. It may be a bit of a scenic route, but if all else fails we know that we can turn around there will be people there waiting to help us along the way. It also gives us more of an incentive to do what's right, as we never know who might be following us. So there's my analogy of of the roads in Japan to our spiritual journey. Hopefully it makes sense. =)

2 comments:

J. Benson said...

That's a wonderful testimony Ashley! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Hope all is well for you in Japan!

Holly said...

It always makes me feel so loved when I am blessed with insights that are personal, and often about the mundane-

Thanks for sharing.