I've seriously had enough of the aftershocks, the blackouts, and everyone worrying and freaking out! It's been over a week since the earthquake, and we haven't been completely immune from the affects of it. We continue to have aftershocks and quakes, which really isn't surprising. That's to be expected for a while. We had about a 24 hour period where we had to boil the tap water before using it. That wasn't too bad since we really don't drink tap water and I just tried to avoid making anything that I would need water for. Because of the nuclear power plant problems they've had rolling blackouts across Japan. We've been hit with them 3 times now. Usually only goes out for 3-4 hours, but when you're trying to clean house and it's dark outside and you have no heat, it's not very fun. Then you have everyone freaking out. It started with all the aftershocks and now it's because of the fear of radiation. I find myself avoiding facebook because I get tired of reading about it from everyone. Starting today they are having VOLUNTARY evacuations. Pretty much all the women and children from our branch at church are leaving in the next day or two. Not everyone, but a good chunk. We are NOT! We leave in a week anyway. There's no sense in rushing things if we don't absolutely have to. They are still testing the radiation levels here at Zama every three hours and so far it's been in the normal range. Particularly the lower end of normal. So I'm not worried. Unless something drastic happens in the near future, I think we'll be ok for a few more days. Ben says if not we'll at least glow in the dark. :)
Ok enough complaining. Just had to get that out there. Now some happy news! All our stuff is gone! The movers came on Wednesday and the house is pretty empty now. We've got some major floor scrubbing to do, but the rest of the cleaning shouldn't be too bad. We have our final inspection next Wednesday. A couple of my friends threw me a baby shower last night. Turned out super cute! I'll make a post about that itself when I get the pictures though. I forgot my camera and the power was out, so I used my friend's with the flash. There was only 4 of us there (plus a couple husbands and kids) because of everyone getting ready to evacuate, but oh well. We still had a good time. They are some of the few people that I will actually miss when we leave.
So all in all things are still good here. We're still ok, the dogs are ok, and our move is on track. We fly out a week from today. YAY!!! We'll be home in a week!!!
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Glad to hear you are not freaking out! Good luck with the move, and I hope you don't end up "glowing in the dark."
Post a Comment