Friday, March 11, 2011
Hold On! It's A BIG One!
Before I start getting flooded with phone calls and emails from worried family and friends, we are OK after Japan's big earthquake this afternoon. And when I say big, I mean HUGE! It was registered at an 8.9 about 240 miles north of Tokyo, so less than 300 miles from where we are. And we sure felt it! I was up at the office with Ben, and we actually had to evacuate the building. I couldn't believe how long it lasted! In the three years we have been here, that was the biggest quake we have felt. A half hour later we had to evacuate the building again because of one of the aftershocks. They finally told everyone to go home about 3:30, and that's what we did. I had left the dogs out on the back patio, and I'm glad I did. There was no major damage when we got home. A lot of things out of place and a couple broken glass candle holders, but nothing too serious. It moved a couple pictures on the wall, knocked some things off the entertainment center, moved the TVs, knocked over the surround sound speakers, knocked books off the bookshelf, scattered my craft stuff all over the guest room, knocked a bunch of stuff off the bathroom counter and shelf, spilt the dog water all over the floor, and opened the window in the living room about 4 inches, and moved other various little things. Crazy! But like I said, no serious damage. We are getting tired of the aftershocks now. It's been almost 3 hours since it first hit, and we are still having decent size aftershocks. Not good for the pregnant mama! It doesn't take much for me to get lightheaded, and the house swaying back and forth doesn't help at all. And they are happening every couple minutes. They don't usually last very long, but still enough to make us sick. The dogs don't like them either. Just one more reason why we can't wait to leave. Can't wait to get back to Idaho where they don't have crazy things likes earthquakes, tsunamis, and all those other natural disasters (at least not very often anyway). 2 weeks! And speaking of tsunamis, you don't have to worry about us being hit by one of those. We are far enough inland, that Japan would have to start falling off into the ocean before it would reach us. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I am so happy to hear that you guys are okay. When you guys get back to ID please let me know where you'll be and I'd love to see you. It has been so long that it would be wonderful if I could see you and give you a hug. Congrats again and be carful we don't want anything to hapen to you or the little one. :-)
Post a Comment