We are making progress with Ben's med board. We talked to his PEBLO (case manager) on Friday and we have his unofficial ratings back. It is a bit sooner than we were thinking. Apparently the VA is moving a bit faster lately. As of right now, we will be getting 90% disability rating from the VA, and 40% disability from the Army. The VA percentage shouldn't change any, but the Army one can. It should go up if anything. And that's what we are waiting on now. The VA has sent it back to the Army, and we are waiting for their final approving signatures. We aren't sure how long that will take. I guess the Army side is getting a bit backed up right now because the VA is getting the cases turned around so fast. It shouldn't take too long. I'm thinking we'll have the final ratings and approval stuff by Kaylin's birthday, if not sooner. Once we get those, we're supposed to get our orders within a few days. Then we'll have roughly two weeks to clear out, and we'll be home for good! Ben thinks we'll be home in about a month or so. I think it will be a bit longer. Not much, but probably closer to mid-October. We'll see though. The only down side to being home that soon, other than the stress of moving on short notice, is we'll miss the BSU vs Hawaii game here in November. :)
So just a quick overview of what the ratings mean. The Army and VA both go over all his medical conditions and determine just how "disabled" he is. For the Army, it will be considered a medical retirement. Anything above 30% is a medical retirement. With that we have a few more options. Besides the monthly paychecks (I'm not sure how much it is for the Army at 40% right off the top), we get to keep our medical coverage. Ben's medical care will be covered regardless, because of the VA. But now Kaylin and I are both eligible to keep our medical insurance. Granted we'll have to pay for it now, but the family plan is only like $525 a year, and we will be covered for pretty much everything. So that's not a bad deal. That was one thing I worried about. I knew Ben would be covered, but the thought of Kaylin and I not having medical insurance kind of scared me. So that is one less thing I have to worry about. There are more benefits from being medically retired, but those are the biggest things I can think of right now. The rating from the VA is kind of a big deal. At 90%, that is just under $2000 a month that we get, tax free. Plus all the other veteran benefits we get. Like the VA home loan, the veteran preference when it comes to applying for jobs. Ok the rating doesn't have to be that high to take advantage of those other benefits, but they are a nice plus. :)
So that's where we are. Our time here is coming to a close. We don't have an exact date, but it should be within the next month or two. It's crazy to think it's almost over. I'm ready for it to be over, and to be back home. But at the same time it's feeling kind of unreal. I'm sure we'll manage somehow though. :)
Monday, August 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I am so glad things are moving forward and I'm praying things will start to improve for you all. Kaylin is growing so fast and is just gorgeous. Let me know when you get into Boise and we'll do lunch or hang out or something. It will be great to see you again, it's been too long.
Post a Comment