Friday, April 10, 2009

Q: How Many People Can You Fit On A Train?

A: I'm still counting. Let me get back to you on that...

I don't know which is worse- rush hour on the roads in cars or rush hour on the trains. We had Youth Conference down at Yokota yesterday and I decided to take the train down instead of trying to find my way in the car. I know it's an easy drive, but I've never done it on my own and I hate driving in Japan anyway, let alone by myself when I don't know exactly where I'm going. So I got up nice and early so I could make it to Yokota by 830. It's an easy route and takes about just as much time to get there by train as it does by car. So I make it down to the train station and everything starts out ok. Not too crowded. But within just a few stops the trains were packed. It was pretty much crowded the rest of the way there (it's about an hour train ride). There is no such thing as personal space when riding the trains in Japan. People aren't afraid to get cozy. Just when you think you can't get any closer, 5 more people jump on. Granted I had to be one of those last minute squeeze-in's at one point. Not saying that every time I get on a train it's like being in a can of sardines, and most of the time it's not. But even coming home last night afterwards (which took FOREVER), I was still surprised to see how full some of the trains were. You would think it would be pretty empty at 1145 at night, but it wasn't. But then you have to remember they don't run as many trains at night (which is part of the reason it took me so long to get back home), so the trains that do come are going to be a little fuller. The trains today weren't as bad. One of the other leaders and I met the youth down at the temple this morning. That's a pretty easy train ride and wasn't too crowded for the most part. I really do enjoy taking the train more than driving. I just enjoy a little breathing room too. =)

No comments: